Friday, November 6, 2015

good things from long ago

For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10 (emphasis mine)

I've been fascinated by this verse this week.  Imagine it: His Masterpiece! Can't you just see the brushstrokes in your life? I can. A little light peeks through the dark spots in the belly-laughs and happy sighs. A few shadows dance on the shimmering waves - they are the burdens of care I bear each day. Both are necessary in a masterpiece.

I've been created twice! Knit together in my mother's womb, filled up with surprise after gift-wrapped surprise - all waiting to be unwrapped and used for good. However, before I got to the good things that were wrapped up inside me, I was robbed. Every seed holds within it the promise of more. And the seed of sin in me was no different. It grew and blossomed and multiplied. Pre-disposed to believe the lie that God was holding out on me, I fell headlong into the despair that only distrust of my Creator could bring. A nagging belief that I could never be good enough prevented the ancient gifts from being opened. I needed a rescue. A Creator this creative wouldn't let something this good go to waste. He never wastes anything. He re-purposes, re-uses, and re-creates.  Anew! I've been made anew.

Now, about those Good Things...

Those are being discovered and unwrapped every day. Some are sparkly, Facebook-worthy, exciting good things. Others are the simple beauty found only in ordinary moments. And through them all I am finding myself - the real, originally-created me. It calls me back to an ancient truth: I am created in His image. I am created for good things.

No comments: